Claude Harmon 1945-1978
In 1963, the club welcomed President Eisenhower, who viewed the Met Open from atop the clubhouse overlooking the 18th hole of the East Course. At this time Ike also became a Winged Foot Honorary Member. The decade was marked by a series of improvements to the clubhouse, including an expansion of the Dining Room to its present size. The grounds and golf courses also received new plantings and beautification work. However, the decade of the 1960s belonged to Claude Harmon, who ran the finest pro shop in the country and remained a larger-than-life presence at the club.